Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What Bugs Bunny taught us about classical music

I bought a CD of popular classical music. I love it. My husband doesn't. One day however when we got in the car, it began playing. I figured he would turn it off.

After twenty minutes, I commented on how odd it was that he was actually listening to classical music. He said ... "oh, is that classical music? I thought it was the soundtrack to Bugs Bunny cartoons."

Rossini, Mendelson, Straus, Wagner, Stravinski, and (if I could spell it right)...Betovan, Bethovan, Beethovan...you get the picture. It's 4:30 in the morning and my spell check is still asleep.

The background music for cartoons I'd listened to all my life were all there. I hadn't realized it until he said something.

As Richard Wagner's song, The Ride of the Valkyrie, played in the background, I could just close my eyes and "see" Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny dressed as vikings with Elmer proudly belting out the tune, "kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit, KILL THE WABBIT".

Hard to believe, Bugs Bunny is good for something other than a laugh. He helped me learn to appreciate classical music too.

No comments:

Post a Comment